A huge, luxury dog-friendly holiday home in Lickfold near Petworth, West Sussex. Featuring a heated swimming pool, hot tub, tennis court, sauna and acres of space inside and out, it is a premium rural retreat for extended families, celebrations and responsible, mature groups.
- 6 bedrooms (5 en-suite)
- 3 open fires
- Swimming pool and hot tub
- Grass tennis court
A Grade II listed home of great stature, Longrove Manor’s historic provenance dates back some 700 years. Its earliest construction began as a Medieval Hall House, through time as the hunting lodge of Oliver Cromwell, to its present day as an undisputed king of luxury holiday accommodation in Sussex. Its many crown jewels include 6 bedrooms (5 en-suite), a heated swimming pool, hot tub, grass tennis court, sauna and TV/VR games room. A fine and fun time can be enjoyed by discerning guests, seeking a luxury holiday rental or celebration weekend in the South Downs near Petworth.
The front entrance opens into the oldest part of the house set in the ancient Medieval Hall, offering a snug room with cosy sofas and the first of the roaring open fires. Cromwell himself will most certainly have gazed at bygone flames in the same hearth, likely discussing revolutionary manoeuvres with his closest allies. The Hall leads into the vast main sitting room that looks out over the lawn tennis court, with another large open fire and equally large 55 inch Smart TV with Sky Q. The kitchen-dining rooms sits at the back of the house, looking out over the gardens on three sides. The kitchen, complete with a both an open fire and wonderful electric Aga emanating their warmth, features a full array of catering equipment for any accomplished chefs du vacances. In the dining area alongside, a banqueting table seats 12 in easy comfort, fitting for its VIP guests to enjoy a languid, low lit and convivial meal. Along with the two sitting rooms, in the main house there is a further TV room offering Sky Q and a PlayStation 4 with VR headset, an office/study, a utility room and a boot room with WC and several pairs of Hunter wellies.
Upstairs on the first floor there are four bedrooms. The Master Bedroom Suite opens into a large air conditioned Super king size room, offering a private balcony, separate dressing room and a bathroom with double end bath and separate shower. Bedroom Two is a king size double with an en-suite offering a bath and handheld shower (3’10 access height to bathroom), and Bedroom Three is a twin room with a family bath and rainhead shower room just across the corridor. Bedroom Four serves an Alice in Wonderland experience via its 5 ft doorway, with a king size bed framed by beautiful exposed oak beams, and an en-suite with bath and handheld shower (4’ access into the bathroom).
Heading across the courtyard to the annexe, on the first floor is Bedroom Five, a further king size double with BT Sports/Sky and a walk-through en-suite with bath and low shower, and Bedroom Six an en-suite twin bedroom with double end bath and separate rainhead shower. All the bedrooms are fitted with Smart TVs (except the annexe twin), wardrobes/hanging space and drawer space for plenty of storage during longer stays. Downstairs, the annexe includes its own fully-fitted kitchen, a sitting room with corner sofa, 72 inch Smart TV and BT Sports/Sky, and the pool changing room which includes a shower, WC and a fabulous combined sauna & steam room.
The 2 acres of grounds are something to behold at this luxury group accommodation in the South Downs. Adjacent to the annexe there is a covered outdoor sitting room, providing comfortable seating for the whole group to recline in al fresco style. To the other side of the ornamental Japanese ponds, an outside dining area sits under a pergola for warm sunset dinner parties, looking out over the croquet lawn and illustrious history of Cromwell’s house. The azure swimming pool and hot tub lie just beyond this social area, with 3 large sun beds seating 2-3 people on each and a huge 8-seater sofa. To the side, the grass court awaits for a suitably genteel set of tennis, complete with umpire chair and seating for the ‘fans’. Beyond, a wild meadow and organic vegetable garden complete the total and natural escapism at this countryside retreat for groups.
Longrove Manor is perfect for dog friendly stays, extended family celebrations and responsible, mature groups. See the ‘House info’ section for more information about this labyrinth of a luxury holiday home in Lickfold near Petworth, West Sussex.
- Pets welcome (2 well-behaved dogs)
- Real fire (open fire x3)
- Swimming pool
- Hot tub (seats 6)
- Steam room
- Tennis court
- Games room (Sky Q, PS4 with VR)
- Television (Smart TVs, Sky Q)
- Games console PS4 with VR
- DVD player
- Wi-Fi (SuperFast)
- Bluetooth speaker
- Selection of books & games
- Large home - sleeps 8+
- En-suite bedroom x5
- Garden/outside space
- Dishwasher x2
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- Family friendly
- Cot x2
- Highchair x2
- Private parking
- Electric Vehicle (EV) charging (CCS)
- Short lets/long stays possible
- Linen & towels inc pool towels
Useful information and house rules
- Pets: a maximum of 2 well-behaved dogs are allowed at a cost of £20 each per stay. Dog towels and dog beds provided.
- Please contact us if you are interested in a stay of over 21 nights.
- Longrove Manor is a family-focussed property and is not suitable for parties. Single sex groups or groups of friends by prior written agreement only, but please do check with us as we may be able to accommodate. The annexe twin room is small with a slanted ceiling, and therefore we recommend a maximum of 10 adults (12 guests in total). Day guests with advance agreement only. In order to ensure continued enjoyment for genuine bookings, stag, hen and other party groups are not permitted, and will be refused entry with no course for refund. If you have any doubts as to the suitability of the house for your stay, please do contact us and we will be happy to advise.
- Accessibility: Due to the age of the main house and Grade II listed status, there are uneven floors and steps throughout. There are some low beams/doorways and ceilings to note: access to Bedroom Two en-suite (3’10), access to Bedroom Four (5’ height), access to Bedroom Four en-suite (4’ height), and slanted ceiling in Bedroom Six. All bedrooms are located on the first floors of the main house and annexe. The annexe is a modern build and therefore has a standard staircase, however for those with limited mobility or sight please consider the overall suitably of this property for your stay prior to booking. We are very happy to assist with any questions should you have them.
- Main kitchen facilities: Electric double Aga with 4 ovens, 4 hobs and 2 large hotplates, additional electric twin oven, 2 sinks, 2 large American style fridge/freezers with drinks dispenser and ice machine, 2 dishwashers, Magimix, NutriBullet, Nespresso coffee machine with unlimited pods, microwave, kettle, toaster.
- Utility room: washing machine, tumble dryer, sink, clothes airer and iron/ironing board.
- Annexe kitchen facilities: Electric double oven, 4 electric hobs, sink, American style fridge-freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, Nespresso coffee machine with unlimited pods, microwave, kettle, toaster.
- Welcome hamper, slippers, bathrobes, 6 hairdryers and Molton Brown toiletries are provided for your stay. Unlimited supply of logs for the fires. Charcoal and utensils are provided for the BBQ.
- The swimming pool and hot tub are cleaned daily (except Sundays). Gardens and the tennis court are tended once or twice a week. Please understand that for your comfort, staff will be on site to provide this essential maintenance. This will be done at as discrete times as possible, and in outside areas only.
- Swimming pool: 12m length, target temperature is 28-30C degrees (min 26C). Open times 2023: 9am to 6.30pm 07 April – 19 May, and 30 September – 27 October. Open 24 hrs for peak season of 20 May – 29 September.
- Hot tub: Open all year. Max capacity 6 people.
- Grass tennis court 2023: Open from 29 April – 28 October. Tennis rackets and balls provided. Please bring tennis shoes or trainers only if you wish to use the court.
- Guest and pet safety: There are three open fires in the main house, fire guards are provided. Fitted stairgates are provided. The swimming pool and hot tub area is fenced. A cover for the hot tub is provided, for safety and heat retention please ensure this is fitted when not in use. There are ornamental ponds outside the annexe; although very shallow (approx. 1 ft deep) they are unfenced. There is a raised pond/water feature in the courtyard, this should be above the height for children to access however please be aware and do check. The grounds are fenced at the front (facing the lane), with hedges (but no fence) bordering the main rear garden. Due to the open fires, unfenced ponds and risk of the pool area/hot tub being left open, please ensure children are supervised at all times.
- Four infants up to age 2 are welcome in addition to the total guest capacity of this property. Two travel cots (please bring bedding), fitted stairgates and two highchairs are available on advance request.
- Free private parking on the driveway next to the house, with space for 6 cars.
- Electric Vehicle (EV) charging: available at no additional cost.
- Fireworks not allowed.
- Oil Central Heating.
- Superfast broadband/Wi-Fi
Local areaLongrove Manor is set in a charming rural location in the South Downs, with picturesque walks from the door straight into the countryside. The area sits in the heart of the renowned Sussex wine region, with Blackdown Ridge 2 miles north and Upperton and Roebuck Estates Vineyards 5 miles south. Stopham, Nutbourne, Ambriel, Kinsbrook and Nyetimber Vineyards all also within a short drive – or taxi ride! At Lodsworth village a couple of miles up the road, the Lodsworth Larder is an excellent farm shop to stock up on supplies, close to the brilliant Langham Brewery and Taproom. For good food try the award-winning pub-restaurant The Three Horseshoes in Lickfold, just a five minute walk up the road, or Noah’s Ark Inn at Lurgashall. Supermarkets are easy to reach in Haslemere 15 minutes north.
If you can pull yourself away from your perfect oasis for a few hours, from Lickfold it is only a short drive to join the South Downs Way national trail, a stunning walk with views along the ridge of these ancient hills. Other wanderings can be enjoyed at the Serpent Trail for those who prefer a flatter path, National Trust Woolbeding & Ebernoe Common Nature Reserves, and fantastic long-range views at NT Black Down – the highest point in the South Downs National Park. If archaeology is your interest, several bronze age tumuli can be seen on Gallows Hill, or take a visit to Bignor Roman Villa.
Choose your dates