Bell Meadow is a special family-friendly holiday home with swimming pool, set within an acre of its own beautiful gardens and tucked away in the South Downs between the historic market towns of Arundel and Petworth. Arriving on the long drive with glimpses of your private grounds, this holiday cottage near Amberley and Pulborough peeks through the hedges stirring anticipation of your holiday to come. Stepping onto the path, the house and garden opens out in front of you with the enticing azure swimming pool to the left.
Before jumping straight in for a swim, take time to drop your bags and explore your home from home. The sitting room is a lovely sunny space, with sofas, armchairs, Smart TV/DVD and antique furniture placed around an open fire, reminiscent of classic English country cottages. The sitting room sits in the centre of the house, with the well-stocked kitchen-dining room at the end of the long hallway. The dining area looks out through a large window over fields and paddocks, and through patio doors to the garden.
Next to the kitchen is Bedroom Two with a king size double, an additional single bed and views over the garden. Opposite there is a shower room with rainhead power shower, which also houses a washing machine and tumble dryer in the cupboard. On the other side of the sitting room, the huge Bedroom One offers a double bed, more antique and vintage furniture and the same gorgeous garden views. Opposite, the bathroom has a walk-in bath with shower over, handy for those with limited mobility. At the far end of the house is a snug games room/playroom, with a small pool table, sofa, TV and Wii U. Up a flight of stairs from the games room is Bedroom Three; there are three single beds up here and fantastic views over the entire grounds. This end of the house is a perfect hideaway for the kids, where they can close the door to both rooms and enjoy their own exclusive holiday experience. Although there are a couple of different options for rooming, a maximum of 7 guests are permitted plus one infant. There are many social spaces available to enjoy some quality family time together in this large vacation rental in Sussex. But who knows, with all the entertainment on offer you may not even see the kids!
Outside, to the rear of the house is a large deck with full-size table tennis for a competitive and inexplicably fun session. To the front, French doors from the sitting room open wide onto the patio, with large table and chairs, a BBQ and fire pit, and the pool beckoning just beyond. The perfect spot for a sunshine breakfast following an invigorating morning dip, or al fresco entertaining after a languid sunset swim. A little exploring reveals the rest of the incredible gardens, including a football pitch, wild meadow, mighty oak trees and even the occasional deer passing through. Laid out mostly on a single ground level, this rural retreat provides plenty of room for families, short term lets, couple groups and those with limited mobility to savour a most enjoyable and relaxed countryside break, and fond sepia memories. See the ‘House info’ section for more information about this holiday rental with swimming pool and games room, set in the South Downs near Arundel and Pulborough, West Sussex.
- No pets
- Real fire (open fire)
- Swimming pool
- Games room
- Games console (Wii U)
- DVD player
- Selection of books & games
- Ground floor bedroom & bathroom
- Garden/outside space
- Fire pit
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- Family friendly
- Cot (please bring bedding)
- Private parking
- Short lets/long stays possible
- Linen & towels
Useful information and house rules
- Pets: not allowed.
- Please note that there is a strict limit of 7 guests in total, plus one infant up to the age of two.
- Bell Meadow is a family-focussed property and is not suitable for parties. Stag, hen and other party groups are not permitted. Other responsible single sex groups or groups of friends by prior agreement only, but please do check with us as we may be able to accommodate.
- The swimming pool is unheated and is available for use from 1st May to 31st October. The swimming pool area and football field must be vacated by 9pm due to the neighbours nearby. Please note the pool is unfenced and is used entirely at your own risk. Due to the pool, a small unfenced pond and access onto the road from the drive, children must be supervised at all times when outside.
- Accessibility: There is a flat paved path from the gravel parking area to the front door. There are three entrances/exits to the property, each with a 10cm step over the threshold. The property is laid out primarily on the ground floor; only Bedroom Three is accessed via a flight of standard height stairs (open treads) with banister. Otherwise internally the floors are even and level, with no internal steps. One bathroom also has a walk-in bath, with a shower over. The other bathroom has a shower enclosure with low (5cm) lip. All measurements are approx.
- Kitchen facilities: single electric fan oven with grill, 4 ring electric hob, tall fridge-freezer, dishwasher, microwave, kettle, toaster, cafetiere, Nespresso coffee machine.
- Washing machine and tumble dryer are located in a large cupboard in the bathroom.
- Iron, ironing board and 2 hairdryers provided.
- There is parking available on the driveway next to the house, with space for 3 cars (more by arrangement).
- One infant up to age 2 is welcome in addition to the total guest capacity of this property. 1 travel cot (please bring bedding) and 1 clip-on high chair provided.
- Electric heating.
- 3G Wi-Fi.
Local areaBell Meadow is located in the South Downs National Park a mile south of the picturesque village of Fittleworth, with its popular pub, a local shop and walks along the River Rother. A little further north is the historic market town of Petworth, best known for its stately home Petworth House and deer park. The Downs offer a myriad of local paths to discover, in addition to the long distance South Downs Way and Monarchs Way being very close by. Heading south, Amberley has a wealth of ancient houses and cottages in a beautiful archetypal English style. A little further down the road is the historic town of Arundel on the banks of the River Arun, best known for its majestic castle and rising spire of the cathedral that dominate the skyline of this little town.
There are many award-winning vineyards in the area showcasing the best of British wine, including Stopham and Roebuck Estates just up the road. Also within half an hour, as well as the Sussex Coast and Chichester, the famous Goodwood Estate includes a motor circuit, racecourse and aerodrome and is home to the world-renowned Festival of Speed, Goodwood Revival and Glorious Goodwood (Qatar Festival).
Generally very good but cold on arrival - needed lounge fire on all day to keep temperature up to acceptable level
A great place to relax
Bell Meadow is a great place for a family break, with a pool and lovely big garden for children to play, and plenty of places to sit in the sun or the shade and enjoy a drink. The house has a large comfortable sitting room with doors out onto the garden.
Choose your dates