A luxury holiday cottage with wood burner on the edge of Chailey Common, perfect for a romantic rural retreat near Lewes, East Sussex.
- Cosy cottage with log burner
- Beautiful interior design
- Surrounded by nature
- Walks from the door
Surpassing all expectations, Mill Barn ticks every pretty little flower box with a flourish of blissful serenity. Snugly tucked away in the heathland of Chailey Common, this cosy cottage for couples and solo holidays is but a 15-minute drive from the historic town of Lewes. It has been carefully crafted with love and immaculate attention to detail, to forge an unquestionably unique, warm and welcoming home.
From the private walled garden fringed with flowers equally bold and delicate, this enchanting holiday cottage in North Chailey, East Sussex beckons you in with draped vines framing the doors and windows. With half an acre of its own woodland beyond its beautiful garden, be at one in this natural environment. In the calm, pale tones of the sitting room, deep sofas embrace you next to the cosy warmth of the wood burning stove. The Smart TV includes a Netflix account and DVD player to catch up on a favourite programme, or pull a novel from the shelf and lose yourself in a good book and a long drink.
The elegant country kitchen is fully equipped with an Everhot induction range cooker, fridge, freezer, dishwasher and washer-dryer. A suitably English breakfast is well catered for with all the appropriate little touches; a toast rack, eggcups, teapot and coffee machine are all waiting patiently by the dining table. Opposite the front door there is also a boot room with WC, a warm spot to tuck coats and footwear away on your return from a stroll across the common.
Graceful wrought iron spiral stairs lead you upstairs to the bright, fresh bedroom, featuring a king size bed, fitted wardrobes and views over the woodland. Fall asleep to the sound of peace, and wake up to birdsong. Beyond the reading corner nestled on the landing, the exquisite bathroom is a pleasure to behold. Wrap yourself in the freshly laundered bathrobes and slippers provided and rejuvenate under the huge walk-in rain shower. Or wind down deep into the double end bath, and simply be.
As a special indulgence, private yoga lessons can also be arranged in the cottage or tranquil garden (please ask for details). See the ‘House info’ section for more details about this country cottage for couples and solo travellers near Lewes, East Sussex. For an anniversary, birthday, unhurried romantic break or just to escape the madding crowds, Mill Barn in North Chailey, East Sussex offers a restorative holiday treat and a truly unique home stay. A moment of time to be cherished.
- No pets
- Real fire (wood stove)
- Television (Smart TV)
- DVD player
- Selection of books (extensive), magazines & games
- En-suite bedroom
- Garden/outside space
- Fire pit
- Washing machine (washer-dryer)
- Tumble dryer (washer-dryer)
- Unsuitable for children over the age of 1
- Cot (bedding provided)
- Private parking
- Short lets/long stays possible
- Linen & towels
Useful information and house rules
- Pets: not allowed (the owner may take an occasional request, in advance)
- Accessibility: There is one step to the front door threshold. Internal floor levels are even. Spiral staircase to the first floor.
- Kitchen: Electric Everhot range cooker with induction hobs (pots and pans provided) and double oven, slimline dishwasher, fridge, freezer, washer-dryer, double butler sink, microwave, toaster, kettle, 2 cafetieres & fresh coffee.
- 1 babe in arms (max 1 year old and not walking) is welcome. 1 travel cot (bedding provided) and 1 highchair available on request.
- The property has a spiral staircase to access the first floor and a wood burner which gets very hot, please bear this in mind if bringing an infant.
- Please note candles are not permitted at Mill Barn.
- Mill Barn is decorated for the Christmas season.
- Bathrobes and slippers provided (please leave in the cottage on departure!).
- Iron, ironing board, clothes airer and hairdryer provided.
- Logs are provided for reasonable use of the wood stove during your stay. There is a small charge to replenish the logs.
- Netflix account provided.
- Fully enclosed garden with table and chairs, fire pit and BBQ (on request). There is also half an acre of private woodland available for your use, adjacent to Mill Barn.
- Private yoga lessons can be arranged in the cottage or its tranquil garden, please contact us for details.
- There are 2 parking spaces available on the private drive next to the cottage.
- This property has an alarm, however it will be turned off before your arrival. If you would like to set it whilst you are out during your stay, please contact us or the owner.
- Gas central heating.
Local areaMill Barn has half an acre of private wooded area beyond its own garden, festooned with wildflowers in spring and summer. Sit out and enjoy lunch under the trees, or indulge in pure ‘Me’ time with some yoga in this idyllic natural environment. Just round the corner, the pretty Chailey Windmill is carefully maintained by its dedicated society. The cottage is sat right in the heart of Red House Common, part of the larger Chailey Common, and stretching over 180 hectares it is one of the largest in the south of England. It was designated a Local Nature Reserve in 1966, and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest for its heathland plants and diverse insect and bird communities. There are abundant walks across this beautiful heritage landscape, cattle and ponies grazing in the morning mist. This luxury accommodation is also ideally located within 5 miles of both the South Downs National Park and the High Weald AONB, making it a perfect setting for some long walks in the country.
North Chailey is a small village but offers a petrol station and local shop, or there is the fine Townings Farm Shop just up the road. Newick village is a couple of miles away and has a couple of nice pubs on the green, including The Bull and The Royal Oak. Sheffield Park Gardens, the Bluebell Railway, and the acclaimed Ridgeview and Bluebell Vineyards and 360 degree Brewery are all within a 10-minute drive. All are highly recommended to visit. Head to Lewes from Mill Barn in North Chailey to spend some time wandering the castle and pretty centre of this historic market town. Try the Needlemakers for laid back but excellent plant-based food. For those with a love of the arts you simply cannot miss the unique experience of Glyndebourne Opera, book (very) early as its season of operatic events sells out fast! Further afield, the vibrant city of Brighton proudly exudes its lively and cosmopolitan atmosphere.
High Quality Specification Holiday Home For Two In Countryside Setting
This former barn was associated with a nearby historic windmill and has been converted to a very high level providing proving a superb holiday accommodation for two. Set within a Chailey common this wooded setting provides both tranquillity and the opportunity to enjoy many walks directly from your door, with the convenience of being just a short distances from connecting roads and easy access to all of Sussex. With quality furnishing and fittings throughout all maintained very high standards and decorating with fresh flowers and a welcome basket provided by the very friendly and helpful owners (Penny). Your holiday will be one of very happy memories, as ours certainly was.
Quite simply the best English property I've stayed at. Everything well above average in this superbly equipped and pretty Cottage. The Owner had left an excellent welcome for me and visited to ensure all well. It was - warm and cosy and a lovely place to come home to after a days work locally. My only fear is I won't be able to book it next time! Thank you so much.
Home away from home. This cottage is equipped with everything you would need. Attention to detail in all spaces. Lovely area for walks and hikes. Close to shopping. Great hosts. Parking is right outside your cottage. Bedroom and bathroom are upstairs. Comfortable bed and extra large bath.
Choose your dates