Offering stunning elevated views across the South Downs, The Old Stables is a rural Grade II listed barn close to the pretty market towns of Petworth and Midhurst. It has been carefully transformed into a luxury two-bed holiday home for couples and families, with walks from the door and access to the owners’ tennis court.
The stable door opens into an open plan living area, with two comfortable sofas sitting next to a large Smart TV. The dining table can be extended to seat four and sits next to the kitchen, fully equipped including a dishwasher, washer-dryer and coffee machine. This practical and welcoming space makes The Old Stables an excellent choice for longer stays or a short let near Petworth and Midhurst, in which to live in style and comfort.
Along a short corridor, Bedroom Two offers a king size bed and exposed beams retained from the original stables. Conveniently positioned next to a smart, spacious shower room with large rain head, it is private and close enough to consider as an en-suite. A second shower room is located at the bottom of the stairs to Bedroom One, which is a fabulous king size room with plenty of space and good storage. Throw open the windows to admire spectacular long-range views of some 5 miles west to Black Down.
An eclectic collection of prints, memorabilia and antique sports equipment adorns the walls of this luxurious country cottage in an inventive and contemporary style. Waiting outside for sunny days and sundowners, a patio terrace sits under a pergola furnished with large table, chairs and bench seat. Fire up the BBQ and enjoy magical sunsets across the owners’ extensive grounds and the rural South Downs landscape. Beyond its terrace the cottage’s sporting theme delivers on its promise too; a few steps from the house reveals a fabulous secret tennis court, available for some use during your stay (please see the ‘House info’ section for more details about this country cottage near Petworth, Midhurst and Chichester, West Sussex).
- No pets
- Tennis court (by arrangement)
- Selection of books & games
- En-suite bedroom x1
- Ground floor bedroom & bathroom
- Garden/outside space
- Washing machine (washer-dryer)
- Tumble dryer (washer-dryer)
- Cot (please bring bedding)
- Private parking (2 spaces)
- Short lets/long stays possible
- Linen & towels
- En-suite bedroom
Useful information and house rules
- Pets: not allowed (the owner may take an occasional request, in advance).
- Please contact us if you are interested in a stay of over 21 nights.
- Accessibility: There is one low step (approx. 3cm) over the front door threshold. Bedroom Two is on the ground floor with an adjacent walk-in shower room (2cm step). Winder staircase (with bannister) to the first floor, opening directly into the room at the top. Other internal floors are even and level, with no internal steps.
- Kitchen facilities: single electric fan oven, 4 plate electric hob, fridge-freezer, slimline dishwasher, washer-dryer, microwave, Nespresso coffee machine, kettle, toaster.
- Tennis court: 2 hours of use is included on each full day of your stay. Times must be agreed with the owner in advance, but please note that play will usually need to be in the mornings. Some afternoon/evening play may occasionally be possible, on request and at the owners’ discretion.
- Garden area: The Old Stables has a patio garden which is bordered by a trellis and white picket fence (not fully enclosed). Please respect the owners’ own private gardens next door by keeping within the cottage garden boundary.
- There is a swimming pool nearby in the grounds of the owners’ house, please note that the pool and surrounding terrace are strictly out of bounds. Please make sure children are supervised at all times.
- Please note that due to the nature of this Grade II conversion, there is limited and sloping height clearance around the bed in Bedroom One.
- Parking is available on the gravel drive in front of the cottage, with space for 2 cars.
- 1 travel cot (please bring bedding) and 1 highchair are available on advance request.
- Iron, ironing board, clothes airer, and 2 hairdryers provided.
- Electric Central Heating.
Local areaThe Old Stables is set in a charming rural location in the South Downs, with picturesque walks from the door straight into the countryside. The area sits in the heartland of the renowned Sussex wine region, with Upperton and Roebuck Estates Vineyards a couple of miles away. Stopham, Nutbourne, Ambriel, Kinsbrook and Nyetimber Vineyards all also within a short drive – or taxi ride! At Lodsworth village 1.5 miles up the road, the Lodsworth Larder is an excellent farm shop to stock up on supplies, close to the brilliant Langham Brewery and Taproom. For good food try the local pubs the Halfway Bridge Inn and Horse Guards Inn.
From River it is only a short drive to join the South Downs Way national trail, a stunning walk with views along the ridge of these ancient hills. For those who prefer a flatter path, the Serpent Trail meanders just north of River village, crossing the heathlands of Lavington and Graffham Commons en route to Heyshott and Midhurst. Keep an eye out for rare wildlife species such as the Dartford Warbler. If archaeology is your interest, several bronze age tumuli can be seen on Gallows Hill, or take a visit to Bignor Roman Villa.
Lovely repeat visit
Enjoyed being back at the Old Stables. A great stay combining Goodwood Revival with further exploring West Sussex. Hope to return again.
Beautiful West Sussex Cottage
We had a fantastic stay at the Old Stables in West Sussex. The cottage was beautiful. Very well equipped and Nicky and Peter were the perfect hosts. The welcome basket including butter, eggs, bread and a bottle of red was very much appreciated after our long journey. The location is excellent for exploring the surrounding villages and trying out the top class local pubs. Nicky and Peter have prepared a tourist brochure for the cottage and we were not disappointed by their recommendations of places to visit: Midhurst, Petworth, Amberley, Arundel...to name but a few. The cottage has a lovely terrace garden, which we enjoyed for dinner and after-dinner board games. I would very highly recommend this accommodation.
Choose your dates