Deep in the High Weald AONB in the most tranquil of settings, Primrose Lodge is a cosy and contemporary one-bedroom holiday home. Escape to the country at this romantic rural retreat with log burner near Mayfield, East Sussex.
The beautiful old brickwork draws you to the double door entrance into the living area. The open-plan kitchen, dining and sitting room greets you, finished in rich honeyed tones to create an inviting nook for a weekend break. Tucked away at the other end of this single-storey converted barn is the king size bedroom, with a large wardrobe and fantastic double-aspect views over the fields. The lovely bathroom has a deep double-end bath with rain shower, perfect for a refreshing wake up or a long, luxurious soak.
The living area opens onto the peaceful courtyard garden, looking out over pretty Wealden countryside. From the door there are plentiful walks and picturesque landscapes to explore, with the traditional village of Mayfield just a couple of miles away along winding country lanes. Offering underfloor heating throughout and a log burner too, it is a warm, snug country cottage to spend some quality time away from the madding crowds.
Primrose Lodge combines the boutique beauty of an exclusive hotel suite with the privacy and charm of a quiet rural setting, creating the perfect luxury hideaway. See the ‘House info’ section for more information about this dog-friendly vacation rental, also a great option for short term lets near Mayfield, Crowborough and Tunbridge Wells, East Sussex.
- Pets welcome (1 dog)
- Real fire (log burner)
- Television ( Smart TV)
- Selection of books & games
- En-suite bedroom
- Ground floor bedroom & bathroom
- Garden/outside space
- Washing machine (washer/dryer)
- Tumble dryer (washer/dryer)
- Private parking
- Short lets/long stays possible
- Linen & towels
Useful information and house rules
- Pets: a maximum of 1 well-behaved dog is allowed at a cost of £25 per week or part week.
- Please contact us if you are interested in a stay of over 28 nights (a short-term let).
- Accessibility: this is a single-storey home (ground floor only). Two steps (15cm) over the front door threshold. Bathroom has a shower over bath, standard height bath. Other internal floors are even and level, with no internal steps. Measurements are approx.
- Kitchen facilities: single electric fan oven, 4 electric hobs, under counter fridge with ice compartment, slimline dishwasher, microwave, kettle, toaster, cafetière. Washer-dryer in bathroom cupboard.
- Iron, ironing board, clothes airer, hairdryer provided.
- Free private parking on the driveway next to the house, with space for 2 cars. Please note that the parking area is in front of the gate to a field, although unlikely it is possible that access may be required during your stay. If so then alternative parking will be provided approx. 30 metres from the cottage.
- One infant up to age 2 is welcome in addition to the total guest capacity of this property. 1 travel cot (please bring bedding) available on request, please bring a highchair.
- Underfloor electric heating.
- Photo credit: Thank you to Robert Moseley for the stunning photography of the Weald AONB
Local areaThe bustling village of Mayfield is just 2 miles away, housing the 16th century coaching inn The Middle House, the fine Rose & Crown pub, a historic medieval church and a variety of independent shops, cafes and delicatessens. Larger supermarkets are available in Crowborough and Heathfield, both a 15-minute drive.
The pristine rolling countryside of the High Weald is protected by its Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty status, and offers an abundance of local attractions and places of interest. There are several National Trust properties nearby including Bateman’s, Scotney Castle and Sheffield Park. Wadhurst is a large, pretty village to the east, and just beyond, Bewl Water provides a wide range of watersports fun along with Bedgebury National Pinetum and Forest. To the west, the Ashdown Forest covers 14,000 acres of lowland heathland made famous by AA Milne’s Winnie the Pooh. Throughout the whole Wealden and Ashdown areas there are ample public footpaths and cycle routes to explore, and an endless supply of excellent country pubs to visit.
8 miles north, the spa town of Royal Tunbridge Wells is a great shopping and dining destination. The Pantiles is a wide pedestrian street with the vibrant atmosphere of a European city. A wide choice of cafes and restaurants offer a range of cuisines, enjoy a leisurely lunch and dine alfresco if the sun is shining. During the spring and summer months Tunbridge Wells comes alive with events. Relax with a coffee or glass of wine whilst listening to the jazz evenings at the open-air bandstand, or sample organic produce from the Saturday markets. There is a great mixture of high street and independent stores, spas, and plenty of antique shops to explore.
Home from home
Really enjoyed our relaxing stay at Primrose Lodge, just what we needed as worked all through Covid. The views are amazing and the cottage is a beautiful home from home. Did not want to leave! The dog loved it too and we will certainly return :)
Lovely snug cottage to come back to.
Fantastic week in the early autumn sunshine. Lots of walks with the dog, lots of National Trust properties visited - Sheffield Park, Standen and Scotney Castle being the best for autumn colours. Lovely snug cottage to come back to.
Comfortable, tranquil and relaxing....
After a weekend looking after my brother's three children (all under the age of 6!) this is just what we needed. Comfortable, tranquil and relaxing :) Very well equipped accommodation.
Choose your dates